So, here's a little typical project on the homestead: making new candles. I found a recipe for the flame retardant for wicks that's easily made at home (4 tbls borax, 2 tbls salt in 1.5c water, soak overnight) and we used some old string. On the day of melting, we tied some small weights to the string (old nails. now where did I ever purchase those?)
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
We had guests up the whole long weekend, and much food was made and consumed. Some of the pretty stuff was the bbq pork steam buns:
Wednesday, February 08, 2012
Finally put together a concept I had back before the house was done: the indoor drying rack by the fireplace. Check out the towel hanging near the ceiling.
It's a long redwood bar on a simple rope and loop structure that keeps it up out of the way and yet easy to get at. Below is the rope drawstring which stores behind the pillar:
Melissa made a window seat cushion for the loft window. It not only cushions the butt, but also keeps out cold drafts from the bottom of the window. it's made from a nice cloth that her mom brought her from a trip to Africa:
This is just a mid morning photo of the kitchen. I love how the winter sun comes into our place.
Monday, February 06, 2012
I built a small greenhouse for seed-starting. It sits on the patio in the southwest corner:
And I finished building my first beehive! Based on Abbot Warre' designs, it's a simple, small homesteader version. Here it is with all four boxes put on it... normally you start with just two, and add boxes as the bees fill it up.
I had to take the diesel gen apart yesterday, to try and figure out how bad the carbon build up was, and how to fix it. It was bad. This...
Well, we finally got our laundry situation *ironed out*. I made a small redwood frame after a design Melissa saw on some home supply websi...
Still Pegging, Brackets. All the pegs are in now, and in some cases I still have to go back and saw off the ends. Sort of debated about lea...