Miner's Lettuce and Asparagus starting to come in strong in the raised beds.
Saturday, February 20, 2016
Thursday, February 04, 2016
Well, I'd dug the hole a while ago, thinking I was going to build a firebox down there for an outdoor boiler system, but then the compost bug hit me again, and I decided to take a detour into this experiment. Here's a blurry photo of the hole, with some redwood branches criss-crossed on the bottom and old chicken wire over that, for bottom aeration.
Again, the hole, now with a half a truckload of woodchips in it, and a very ornery twisting of 1inch diameter black poly water pipe that I found on my new property. Believe me, organizing that into a coil was much more work than you imagine it.
Then came the 3 truckloads of woodchips from the next property over, layered with two truckloads of horse manure from down by town, all capped with about 4 wheelbarrows of leaves/forest floor duff that I had gathered as fire prevention last autumn. And each layer got gooey veg oil filter leavings as well as a bit of green leaves. Ready to start cooking!
Then, we left for a bit, and so didn't start the experiment. Getting back, I opened the water valves to have the water start flowing through.... and, I could hear a leak. yay. So, I had to dig out a bunch of that moist, smelly compost to find the leak, repair it and put it all back together. I needed the exercise anyway! It's all back together again, so we'll see how she does!
I had to take the diesel gen apart yesterday, to try and figure out how bad the carbon build up was, and how to fix it. It was bad. This...
Well, we finally got our laundry situation *ironed out*. I made a small redwood frame after a design Melissa saw on some home supply websi...
Still Pegging, Brackets. All the pegs are in now, and in some cases I still have to go back and saw off the ends. Sort of debated about lea...