With all that tree trimming (last January already!) I've had a giant pile of poles/branches that are all about 15 feet long. I set up a saw horse sort of thing and put about a dozen in there at once and cut them up. do that for a couple of hours and you have a lot to stack up.
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Monday, October 15, 2012
So, the French doors (south, center) have begun to move apart from one anther. I think it's actually the west side of the house is settling a touch faster than the east, and thus the frame is widening a bit. Why this matters is the catch between the doors doesn't always 'catch', and the door stays open.
So, even though I spent a bunch of time beveling (is that the right word?) the hinges into the frame back when I put them on, I realize the easiest solution is to move the west door slightly to the east. Here's what it looks like at the hinges before I started:
And after I put in a little shim behind the hinges, all worked well:
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Well, this time I did manage to get some photos along the way. Here I cut a rough knife shape out of an old chunk of bandsaw blade (found in the woods):
well, not too many photos. I then drilled 3 holes for brass rivets and added a piece of oak from a former handle of my framing saw (that had cracked under use a while back):
and after some shaping of the handle and much filing of the blade, I got down to sharpening the edge with my nice japanese water stone. Ended up pretty good!
I had to take the diesel gen apart yesterday, to try and figure out how bad the carbon build up was, and how to fix it. It was bad. This...
Well, we finally got our laundry situation *ironed out*. I made a small redwood frame after a design Melissa saw on some home supply websi...
Still Pegging, Brackets. All the pegs are in now, and in some cases I still have to go back and saw off the ends. Sort of debated about lea...