Monday, August 31, 2009
and of course we talked them into working on the house! Actually, Jason came up for 4 days and worked the whole time, during what I hope was our last heat wave of the summer. It was 94 in the shade for about 2 days.
That didn't stop us from sculpting cob onto the walls. Here's Jason working on the interior wall between the bedrooms:
As soon as Vanessa was here, she jumped right in, starting with wetting down the wall where we were going to put a fresh batch:
Friday, August 21, 2009
I decided it was time to get on the flat spot for one of the water tanks that will hold the rainwater from the roof. So, in between plumbing nightmares (more on that later) and cobbing, I decided to dig out a spot in the woods for the tank. It's about 10 feet in diameter.
This is me, deciding (with Melissa's help) on where to put it.
This is me, two days later, a little more tired.
The photo isn't from exactly the same spot, but you can see the stump in both photos for comparison.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Because of the way we have to plan on building the cob walls, sometimes we have to stop and build in things before we continue with the walls, or it would be much to difficult to do later. In this instance, Melissa decided to tile in the 'cold box' floor before we built the wall up around it.
So she got on her safety gear and mixed up some thinset for the granite tile.
And, since he was interested in the sawmill, we got him geared up
and he sliced what I hope will be a bathroom shelf.
we did manage to kill a bunch of tin cans in between all the hard work
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Here you can see the deadmen - bits of wood - buried in the bathroom (east) wall that will be anchor points for the future shelves.
Here you can see a strip of cardboard laying out where we intend to put book shelves in the main bedroom. I love putting in stuff like this, as it means less cob that needs lifting onto the walls.
Sunday, August 09, 2009
The liquor cabinet is in! The door frame is solid, and the countertop plywood and hardibacker is level and secure. (3/4 inch ply with thin-setted 1/4 hardi Karl). I'm not sure yet how I'll build the door, whether it will go inside the hole, or outside and cover it all.
We started around the east side! This is the first batch on the east of the front door. We've been working mostly on the west so as to bring all the walls up at the same time to the same level. Finally, we've reached high enough to justify going over to the east side.
Of course I've been keeping track. We put our 100th batch on the walls the other day; it got worked into the west kitchen wall and buttress. Here's Melissa thumbing it in. (she does all the the thumbing, I do all the sculpting)
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
As we've moved to soaking the clay in small containers, Melissa spends time fishing out the organics - weeds, bark, roots, etc - so they don't end up in the walls, and tempt bugs who might find them nutritious
Everyday I should spend time checking the plumb of the walls, which I do with some regularity,
and when I find it off, I shave off the leaning bits with my 'mud saw' made from an old band-saw blade. I really like how the walls look after shaving; the surface, not just the plumb line.
Sunday, August 02, 2009
Saturday, August 01, 2009
As we are working away on our mixing process, we decided to try a different way to prep the clay. We had been dumping the 1 &3/4th buckets of clay out on the tarp dry, and stepping and smashing the clumps until they were quite fine, pulling out the organic material as we went. Then adding it to the sand, then adding water, etc.
Other folks soak their clay first, so we decided to try that as well. We're still not sure if it's a better way to go, as we do end up using more water (that ever-precious resource) but we've at least got a new system going.
We separate the clay into three containers (per cob batch) and add the correct amount of total water to the clay - that way we already know how much water is in the mix. Leaving them sit overnight allows all or most of the clumps to break up, and most of the organic junk - sticks, roots, wood chips - float to the top, where we can skim them off pretty easy.
I didn't have enough 5 gallon buckets for this process, but then I had the idea of using old veg oil 'cubies' with the tops cut off. they aren't as handy as the buckets, but they work, and hold the right amount.
Melissa does most of the varnishing around here. While I don't particularly like the 'philosophy' of varnish, with it's high chemical content and non-naturalness, I really like the look, feel, and durability of it. With all the mud and moisture of our house (the earth walls sort of 'breathe' so there's always some humidity in them) varnishing seems to be the best solution to still be able to enjoy the look of the wood.
Here's Melissa working on the window frames that are already in the south wall:
And below are some door frames: both sides of the 2nd bedroom closet door, and the 1st bedroom doorway frame. I'm planning a pocket sliding door, so there's only one side for that.
You can also see the door frame of the 'cold box' on the left side of this photo. That will be basically a hole in the wall with ventilation that will be like a small fridge or root cellar. Also notice the interior wall going up!
I had to take the diesel gen apart yesterday, to try and figure out how bad the carbon build up was, and how to fix it. It was bad. This...
Well, we finally got our laundry situation *ironed out*. I made a small redwood frame after a design Melissa saw on some home supply websi...
Still Pegging, Brackets. All the pegs are in now, and in some cases I still have to go back and saw off the ends. Sort of debated about lea...