Friday, November 07, 2014

Redesigning, rebuilding the cob oven, part 1

Finally felt I needed to deal with the crumbling around the door of the earth oven.  At first, I was thinking I'd start from scratch, then realized I'd probably need to go to the quarry for more sand if I did that, so went for a retro-fit.   First, scraped away the loose stuff:

and wet it down with slip so I'd be ready to attach the new stuff

Got a lot of painting help down low.  Here you can see that not that much was removed:

Later in the day, I'd mixed up a batch of cob and sculpted in the new door idea, with a chimney coming out the top:

The plan is to have the metal chimney easily slip down into the hole, extending the draw:

We have more cob to add before we're through:

into the world of piston! Lister 6/1 piston cleaning.

Once again diving into an area I don't know enough about, I've pulled the cylinder off the Lister to see if there's something w...