Thursday, July 31, 2008

Another side project





Years ago, our place in SF was broken into, and the smart thief who came in the window during the day when I was traveling and Melissa was at work actually took the top drawers from our dresser (and their contents). This is where one generally keeps good stuff, so it was a smart move... but it meant our dresser didn't have drawers for a long time.



I'm finally getting around to feeling like I have the skill, tools, supplies, and time to rebuild them. I'm using a madrone piece - from a tree I cut down and milled - and I'm using redwood as the drawer floors, from old growth stuff I milled up when trying to make a beam more accurate- ie, it was skinny stuff.
So far, I've managed to get the two bigger ones together, and am gluing the third. Then I'll fully finish the wood, probably with tung oil. I will post a finished picture. They look pretty good already though! They won't be that light colored when oiled.

No comments:

Starting anti-fire prep

Well, we never really stop.  But, took a picture of today's raking below the yurt.  Every year I work to get a bit wider swath cleared....