Thursday, September 06, 2012

Logs and Clay

Well, time to make some more boards.  I finally decided to take a look at a big log above the meadow that's been laying in the same spot for maybe 70 years.  I cut out a 9 foot piece (cutting the rotten end off but still trying to keep it short, but long enough to fit on the mill) and dragged it out of the woods with the truck.
 Getting this thing that probably weighs around 2000 pounds onto the mill was an interesting struggle, but I got it up there. You can see the bit of rot at the one end, but that will be the first slice off once I turn the log a bit.  Looks like plenty of wood for the second bedroom doors!
 And, just to keep you up to date on the glacially slow patio project, I've got clay in between the rocks on the second level, and we've begun to puzzle in the final, top/first level.  The thing slowing this project down is the supply of good urbanite; it's hard to find the time and the energy to drive somewhere just to pick up just the right rocks in someone's driveway. 

No comments:

Starting anti-fire prep

Well, we never really stop.  But, took a picture of today's raking below the yurt.  Every year I work to get a bit wider swath cleared....