Tuesday, October 24, 2006
So I broke down and actually paid for paving stones. Got a good deal on a ton and a half of nice ones someone ordered and didn't like. Here's half the load out of the truck.
When working on the patio for the hot tub, I pulled the truck right up the the space, so as to not have to lug the rocks and sand too far.
Here's the $10 worth of sand I paid $40 for (they had a minimum charge. sheesh)
Here's the first two rows looking pretty good as they go down. It got worse from there.
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
country math, continued:
Time spent finding all the *wrong* parts to hook that wrong pipe up:
Money spent on wrong parts:
Time spent finding the right parts:
most of a day
Money spent this time:
$430ish (includes the new pipe)
Frustration yelled into the sky:
Next day (or the day after that):
fill in the trench by hand, leaving 6 inches or so, lay down metalic caution tape so that metal detectors or people digging will know there's a couple pipes down there:
and leave a spot open so that we'll have access to shut off valves, and the future house connections:
Then, I'm not even going to tell you about the leaks in the copper pipe that had to be redone, the leak in the shower 'mixer' which meant I had to cut a hole in the wall to get at it, and the trouble starting the water heater (finding more leaks), so, let's just say 'plumbing's done!'
Thursday, October 12, 2006
more country math:
First, dig a trench with the rented 'ditch witch'.
407 feet of trench = 3 days of sore back
all the way to the yurt, trench.
take a day and get 450 feet of pipe from your neighbor:
one day pipe wrangling = 7 days knee trouble:
Put it all in the ground, cut the pieces to fit the risers and shut-off valves, test your glue before you start, forget to check to see if it holds *with water*... then, when finding out about the right connectors, find out that it's not even the right pipe. Load it back on the truck to take back to the neighbor.
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
The tiled counter tops are done, the redwood trim is on as good as it's going to get, the pieces are in place, and there's water and drain lines in. (not connnected to anything on the outside, but in)
Here's the sink in the afternoon light:
The fridge is also in place, waiting for it's propane hook up:
and the whole kitchen:
Melissa is doing all the work on the shower:
Here she is, working with the potentially toxic 'thinset' (the goo that one uses to stick the tiles to the wall) wearing her 'Tile Ninja' outfit.
Sometimes she makes so much thinset that she has to keep working until past dark, so she keeps on going with a lantern. Here, her hair is up in a kerchief, in her 'Gypsy Tile Woman' outfit.
Here's a specific photo of 'the first course' (the first row to all you amateurs) with a little wooden shelf to hold them in place, since the floor tiles will have to fit under them eventually. Thanks Karl for the continuing stream of good tile advice! Melissa's dad actually did all the tough work of making those wooden shelves and making sure they were level. Thanks Art!
I had to take the diesel gen apart yesterday, to try and figure out how bad the carbon build up was, and how to fix it. It was bad. This...
Well, we finally got our laundry situation *ironed out*. I made a small redwood frame after a design Melissa saw on some home supply websi...
Still Pegging, Brackets. All the pegs are in now, and in some cases I still have to go back and saw off the ends. Sort of debated about lea...