For a number of years already, this counter edge has been failing to live up to my ideals. For some stupid reason, I thought it would be cool to have the cob/plaster edge come up and over to the granite counter. stupid. Of course it's a vulnerable edge, and, guess where my kid sits and smashes stuff? Here it is looking horrible:
A while back I'd made a new wooden bumper for it, and spent time oiling it and getting it ready, so that it would match the older bumpers well. I think that matching idea worked out well. However, it was also stupid to build the thing in my shop (like a J) and then try and fit it to the counter. I was most concerned about the way the joint would look *in the wood*, but it turned out to make it much more difficult to fit to the angle... I should have put in one straight piece, then fit the second straight piece, then worked on the joint. Well, maybe. It's true that the way I did it, I know that the joint looks good, and that it's solid (I was able to screw and glue the thing from the inside of the angle)
Another angle. Now I'm lime washing the heck out of the whole area to try and get the wall to look a bit better... and I did a re-plastering. Note above how you can see some of the plaster chipped off when I dug out a channel for the wood.