Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Notchin' to it

Getting ready to put up some beams, working on a long scarf joint. 

That's a lot of wood to remove! 

Thursday, August 30, 2018

A bit of leveling

For whatever reason, the driveway to the east of the cabin is a touch higher than the slab of the building, and then curves down to it... a perfect way to have water flow underneath.

So, out comes the shovel and the rake.  Over a number of days, working now and again until I got bored, I've moved the whole patch downhill.  The neighbor dog seems to approve. 

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Skylight Super Flashed

So, turns out pictures of each little process of putting in a skylight aren't that interesting, so here's the finished skylight.  I decided to go big on the diverters. They are glued down, but I'm thinking I'll leave the bricks there anyway.   

The roof itself also has a nice view.   I'm hoping that almost all the water that would touch this skylight by flowing down the roof will not even get to it.   

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Skylight Getting Started


Well, I made a hole in a perfectly good roof.  Now to finish the flashing around the curb and get the bubble skylight on there.  Won't be done until I can get to the store and buy a bunch of roof goop. 

Door Project - done, and windows

Painted, trimmed. 

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Door project, in process

So, of course it wasn't a simple thing.  I ended up cutting down and finding lots of rebar.  So, there was a lot of sledge hammer work.  It took all day.

The interior doors were also a huge challenge, as it turns out the floors were different heights, and the rebar made it hard to run a single line. 


The concrete chainsaw made a pretty big mess inside as well, but I did manage to get the doorways clear.   My arms hurt just looking at these photos.


Wednesday, August 08, 2018

The Cabin Project - Doorways

Well, the next batch of work is about the cabin on the upper property.  This 'closed in garage' needs to be made into a nice cabin that someone would enjoy living in while being energy efficient. 

The first batch of stuff to tackle is to fix the doors. In this picture, you can see I've cut a space for some french doors to go out the west, and you can see the two side doors -one will be a pantry and one will be the bathroom.  Notice the concrete lip.  That's a problem. 

Outside view of the french door hole, and the already in, new bigger window in the upstairs sleeping loft.  Still need to put trim around that window. 


Close up of the concrete lip. Yes, there's rebar in there too. 



Sunday, July 15, 2018

Starting anti-fire prep

Well, we never really stop.  But, took a picture of today's raking below the yurt.  Every year I work to get a bit wider swath cleared.  And then I compost the leaves. 

Saturday, May 26, 2018

A happily burning WVO in my Lister Gen.

Just a little review of how things are working well with my listeroid 6/1.  I'm so happy with how things are, it almost seems like I'm going to get some bad luck by talking about it, but, I'm not superstitious.   

First, I have the standard 6/1 Listeroid running a typical Chinese 3KST alternator. 
The Alt has a *8"* pulley on it, so with my typical flywheels, I'm probably running at around 600rpm

I took the simple voltmeter off of the shaky alternator and mounted it (in a tea tin as a nod to the Brits) in a spot in my gen shed that's easy to see.   The switch in this image is for on/off to push power to the house battery bank.  I used to sometimes hook up a gas gen and push in AC and forget that the other alt was connected.  The house would try and turn the alt! 


My personally made manifold to switch from the store-bought diesel in the standard tank to my WVO 'tank'.  Yes, the filter is mounted on a board, because this replacement filter didn't have the same mounting holes as the original. 


And my fancy WVO heating system, which is just a gravity fed aluminium tube (turns out copper reacts badly to WVO) that runs for a while along the exhaust.  I have a gallon jug of WVO hanging in the shed.  About 3/4ths of that jug will run the thing for 5 hours. 


I was given 10 gallons of gasoline that had mistakenly had a bit of diesel added to it, so I now use that to 'cut' my WVO.  I add about a cup of that gas/diesel mix to top off my gallon of WVO.  I actually don't even wait for my veg line to heat up anymore.  I do start and stop on regular diesel, but once I'm running, I only wait 30 seconds or so before switching to WVO.  I *do* run it on regular diesel for about 5 minutes at the END of the run, just to clean out whatever might have built up.   Oh, and I've added a bit of 'injection cleaner' stuff to the diesel tank, which seems to be working well. 

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Final wiring of gen shed

So I 'permanently' wired in the gas gen shed, so that a strong wire would be in place to deal with the further distance to the house.  I also put in a switch so that potential charge is not going OUT the wire.  Here's the switch:

and to make the wire, I found a 100' outdoor extension cord with a broken male end and cut it in half and used one half for the positive and one half for the negative, tripling the copper the charges travel on.  The house and the gen each have a ground, so I didn't need to run that in the wire.  It makes for a beefy cord: 

Notchin' to it

Getting ready to put up some beams, working on a long scarf joint.  That's a lot of wood to remove!