Thursday, August 30, 2018

A bit of leveling

For whatever reason, the driveway to the east of the cabin is a touch higher than the slab of the building, and then curves down to it... a perfect way to have water flow underneath.

So, out comes the shovel and the rake.  Over a number of days, working now and again until I got bored, I've moved the whole patch downhill.  The neighbor dog seems to approve. 

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Skylight Super Flashed

So, turns out pictures of each little process of putting in a skylight aren't that interesting, so here's the finished skylight.  I decided to go big on the diverters. They are glued down, but I'm thinking I'll leave the bricks there anyway.   

The roof itself also has a nice view.   I'm hoping that almost all the water that would touch this skylight by flowing down the roof will not even get to it.   

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Skylight Getting Started

Well, I made a hole in a perfectly good roof.  Now to finish the flashing around the curb and get the bubble skylight on there.  Won't be done until I can get to the store and buy a bunch of roof goop. 

Door Project - done, and windows

Painted, trimmed. 

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Door project, in process

So, of course it wasn't a simple thing.  I ended up cutting down and finding lots of rebar.  So, there was a lot of sledge hammer work.  It took all day.

The interior doors were also a huge challenge, as it turns out the floors were different heights, and the rebar made it hard to run a single line. 

The concrete chainsaw made a pretty big mess inside as well, but I did manage to get the doorways clear.   My arms hurt just looking at these photos.

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

The Cabin Project - Doorways

Well, the next batch of work is about the cabin on the upper property.  This 'closed in garage' needs to be made into a nice cabin that someone would enjoy living in while being energy efficient. 

The first batch of stuff to tackle is to fix the doors. In this picture, you can see I've cut a space for some french doors to go out the west, and you can see the two side doors -one will be a pantry and one will be the bathroom.  Notice the concrete lip.  That's a problem. 

Outside view of the french door hole, and the already in, new bigger window in the upstairs sleeping loft.  Still need to put trim around that window. 

Close up of the concrete lip. Yes, there's rebar in there too. 

Cabin shower pan getting in place

Actually, kind of happy about this progress.  It needed to be up so the drain trap will fit.