on the shortest day of the year, I started up one of my many brush piles, made from clearing out the woods of fire danger pile-up. Got it going easily (I throw tarps over them before the rain starts) and once it's going hot, you can throw both rotten, wet stuff and green stuff and it all burns.
Here's the 'just getting going' shot:
and here's the day after, with all the surrounding woods cleared out as well.
During the firing, we get out the dutch oven, to use all that great heat:
The second bedroom has become the paint room, with varnishing and painting going on. All this stuff gets multiple coats, so every day (unless other stuff is going on) they get a coat. What you see in this picture is the front door pieces, the back door (the blue parts) and the clearstory window trim (all the long pieces in the middle. The windows themselves are actually leaning in the closet in the back right of the photo.
As I'm making the window frames for the two other clearstory window openings (that don't have one big piece of glass already in them) I used the router to make rabbets for the glass to sit in, but they needed some cleaning up with the japanese slick:
Electric routers don't make square corners either:
In the meantime, Melissa continues to prep the clay surfaces and tape off the edges for whitewashing:
Now in the short days, the sun comes in the south windows throughout the day (except for when the redwoods block it, but that's next year's project) and in the late afternoon, I love the way the light comes from the west and starts turning orange.
That bright spot in the photo is the top half of the front door, waiting to get the porthole window cut into it. In the foreground, you can see the future bathroom door getting shaped to fit.