No one can say I don't do my part for conservation and 'using up' all of a resource. I'm working on more of the shelving, for the kitchen and the pantry, and since we wanted to have 1 inch thick shelves, I have to make that lumber.
a long time ago, I wrote about 'the tree in the valley', how I cut it down:
and then how I got it out of the valley:
and how my neighbor came to help mill it up:
well, after all that, the thing ended up being too full of bugs to use as a structural element. I had cut the thing up into about 6ft pieces (for some stupid reason) and milled them into square beams. There they sat for what looks like 2 years.
Then this shelf project came up, and I noticed those chunks sitting there. So I got them up on the mill. I had to rebuild my jig to hold them properly:
Then mill them up into planks (I cut the short way due to cracks that would compromise the plank if I cut the long way)
then rip them straight with the table saw:
then mark them all out
THEN, start a fire in the earth oven and let it burn for 3 hours or so,
Then BAKE all the pieces at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, to kill any possible bugs that still might be in there. (I did see a few during the milling process)