Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Some other stuff we've been up to:

So, besides moving dirt most of the day, we've also been putting that dirt in places that make sense. Readers will remember Dominic, with the big tractor...well, he hasn't been here for a while, so we're back to the wagons and wheelbarrows. In this first picture, you can see where the old 'road/driveway' was, on the left of the photo, and the new path/driveway/road on the right side. this leads up the house spot, and has all that topsoil as berm/retaining wall. there's also a retaining wall underneath that pile.


This is looking the other way, where you can sort of see the retaining walls I built, the little ramp (that the hose and broom are on) and the urbanite stairs that I just laid down.


Here I've numbered the different parts to notice:
1. Dominic put a big pile of topsoil and clay right there, and I ended up using it to build a whole new section the road, including the retaining wall, backing up spot, and ramp (#2). #3 is on the 'hand poured' part of the new road, and note all the wood chips, which we got from our neighbor's pile for free. (with their permission, of course) Manzanita chipped up.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...