Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Started on the Earthen Oven....


Here you can see another project underway, the Earthen Oven. This will be a wood-fired clay oven with a brick floor. Nothing too fancy, just a first attempt and good practice for working with clay and stone. I've gotten the two layers of foundation 'urbanite' down, mortared together with a clay and sand mixture (which won't stand up to a flood, but it's off the ground, and I'll plaster over this stuff anyway) Still, it's pretty solid stuff.

The radio is there for size comparison. the base is about 4 feet in diameter. I'll be trying to put a bit of a bench there in the front.


This is in the bend in the road/driveway, at what would have to be called the old kitchen spot. It's a great spot to catch the sunset most of the summer.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...