Thursday, July 19, 2007

Making Mulch


Since I was caught sitting around waiting for the gravel delivery, I decided to make some mulch for my fruit trees. Keeps the weeds down, and holds in the water better, retarding evaporation.

Last spring I moved an old brush pile to make room for a stawberry patch, and after scraping out the good firewood, I still had a pile of brush to deal with. I piled it up out of the way, and now I've decided to sift through it.

Here you can see my glove and pitchfork on the brush pile.


I built a quick sieve from 2x4s and some chicken wire. Here it is sitting on the wheelbarrow, with a bit of brush in it.


I stir it up, taking anything that could be used for kindling out of it (I'll use it in my wood-fired oven, as that little stuff burns nice and hot) and am left with a leafy dry mulch that I spread around the fruit trees.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...