How to build a compost pile Water Heater experiement
Really, it's all about the compost.
1. have a spot that's about 3'x3'.
2. Lay down some greens. Could be weeds, but I use leaves from small trees I'm cutting anyway.
3. lay some brown stuff on top of that. I use last week's pile, and dry, fallen leaves. Wet it down. (with waste water, of course)
4. Repeat the layering. Here you can see the sort of branches I use. I just cut off the leaves with a machete, or rip them off by hand.
A close up of last week's stuff.
Here's my experiemental water heater process. This is a 5 gallon jug filled with water, being built into the pile.
5. Cover your finished pile with straw. Here you can see the cap of the jug with a temp gauge in it.
RESULTS SO FAR: after 48 hours in this pile, the water has reached 115 DEGREES! I am so going to use this method to heat my house.