Monday, May 25, 2009

Working through the upper layer

We're on the job on the final level, putting in the subfloor in the bedroom and entryway.



Melissa is showing how we're putting down some plastic as a vapor barrier under half the room, as she feels there's not quite enough gravel down below the surface to deal with potential moisture coming up from the earth. (I, of course, believe there is, but that's another story)

We're also making this layer a bit thinner, about 1.5 inches thick, since we don't want the finished floor to be too high. So, this whole subfloor project will be about 3 different experiments; vapor barriers and no barriers, perlite and not, depth of subfloor, type of gravel used, etc. I'm sure no one will care years from now, but at least we'll have answers!

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...