Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Floors and Edges

Melissa did a bunch of work filling in the subfloor in the bedroom. We'd worn it down over the last year (or more?) kicking up dust and such, and so by sweeping up the dust, sifting it out and adding water, we were able to pretty easily spread it out again.

Note all the protection of the white walls from splashes. We will need that for the finish layer as well.

They say the oiled and waxed earth floor will be the same color it is when it's wet... so the above might be the color of our future floors.

Meanwhile, now that the granite counter end is in place, I've added the 'hip bumper' to that section (so we can get down to finishing the plaster around it) and started making it fit into the curve:
After some chiseling and some sanding, I added the first layer of linseed oil, and it looks pretty good:

I suppose I could have gotten it rounder, but it feels pretty smooth on your hand even now.

No comments:

Starting anti-fire prep

Well, we never really stop.  But, took a picture of today's raking below the yurt.  Every year I work to get a bit wider swath cleared....