Journey in the Woods

Sunday, November 06, 2011

More work on the fridge

So, our little propane under-the-counter fridge wasn't happy with it's new home in the house. I had sealed up the (much bigger than needed) space it was going to be in very tightly, caulking and plastering the edges so that no potentially harmful gases could get out... but then I realized that my venting system wasn't sufficient enough to pull the heat away from the coils. So I went back in and busted some more holes.

Here's looking at the cob wall in the back of the cabinet with the two new vent holes busted into the 18" thick wall:
to the top hole I'm going to add about 10 to 15 feet of chimney, which I hope will create enough draw to pull all the heat out of there.

I also went back in and further insulated the box of the fridge itself. Above you can see the extra inch of foam on the top, and over on the left of the photo you can see the other foam for the side. I also did extensive stuffing of rigid foam along the sides so that the heat exchange area is fully separated from the back of the box (the closest corner in the photo).

All seems to be working right now, but I'm willing to cut a fridge sized hole in the wall back there if I have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home