Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chest and complaint

So I have this little leather and metal bound chest of my mother's.  It's been holding old letters (like from the 40s) for a long time.  The leather side handles (similar to front lift strap you can see) have rotted away and I need to decide what sort of handles to replace them with.  
I could do leather straps made from old gloves (I have plenty of old leather gloves around!) but that might not last that long, and it would be a struggle to get the pieces from the gloves to be long enough to be good handles.  I could easily do rope handles... or I could do wooden bent-branch ones... or scrounge up some sort of metal ones (which I sort have tried already and couldn't find anything easily) 
Anyone have any input?  I'm open. 

and here's just a little detail I'd like to complain about: our gas stove, a small 'apartment size' model with 4 burners is quite nice. works great for what we need.  One flaw is that the on/off knobs, made of a solid molded plastic, have a stupid groove down the middle: 
All that does is give dirt and grime a place to reside that's difficult to get at.  The groove is totally useless. It doesn't even indicate what direction the thing needs to be turned (the 'off' etc is printed on the edge) . it would be easier for the manufacturer to leave the groove off!  I think I'm actually going to call the company. yep, I'm that guy.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...