Sunday, October 05, 2008

How to build a compost pile Water Heater experiement
Really, it's all about the compost.

1. have a spot that's about 3'x3'.


2. Lay down some greens. Could be weeds, but I use leaves from small trees I'm cutting anyway.


3. lay some brown stuff on top of that. I use last week's pile, and dry, fallen leaves. Wet it down. (with waste water, of course)


4. Repeat the layering. Here you can see the sort of branches I use. I just cut off the leaves with a machete, or rip them off by hand.



A close up of last week's stuff.


Here's my experiemental water heater process. This is a 5 gallon jug filled with water, being built into the pile.

5. Cover your finished pile with straw. Here you can see the cap of the jug with a temp gauge in it.



RESULTS SO FAR: after 48 hours in this pile, the water has reached 115 DEGREES! I am so going to use this method to heat my house.

3 comments:

WrethaOffGrid said...

That is sooo cool... er I mean, hot!

Wretha

admin said...

Have your heard of the Jean Pain composting and energy system?
Does seem a bit resource intensive though. Fine if you have big piles of bio trash anyway.

Tys said...

Judy,
bio-gas rocks, and it's something I'm going to experiment with, once the house is done. There is no doubt I will work with the free horse manure down the road to create the gas I need to make my coffee in the morning!

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...