Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Knife and Kit

Something that had been on my personal desire list for a long time was making a knife. I've made some handles, well, replaced handles for knives before, and certainly continue to replace hatchet and hammer handles all the time, but I'd never done the blade and handle together. 

I had set aside a piece of logging bandsaw blade 5 or 6 years ago, and finally got it out and cut it up with m y hack saw. then filed down the edges, drilled the handle rivet holes and carved a madrone handle.  After a batch of times with the sharpening stone, a bit of oil for the wood, it's a pretty solid tool.  It's not for kitchen use, but future outside butchering.  Thus, I asked Melissa to make me a carrying kit for all my 'outside' knives.
 She used some denim from some old jeans (I have tons of jeans that people give me for filters for the veg oil) and I think it turned out great.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...