Monday, February 06, 2012

Building Things around the Place

I built a small greenhouse for seed-starting. It sits on the patio in the southwest corner:
 and the north side flips up for easy access.  I also put some milk jugs filled with water for thermal mass, to balance the temps at night.

And I finished building my first beehive!  Based on Abbot Warre' designs, it's a simple, small homesteader version.  Here it is with all four boxes put on it... normally you start with just two, and add boxes as the bees fill it up.
 the legs and 'landing pad' doorway for the bees:
 the top insulation box, and a peak into one of the chambers with the bars in place:
 and a deeper look into the box, showing how the bars come out:
 Melissa had a relaxed afternoon sitting inside. Notice she's sitting by the window to enjoy the sun, watching a movie on the laptop and reading a library book.  A good use of time!

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...