Tuesday, July 24, 2012

More daily activities

A medley of activities: making jam from OUR blackberries:
 While the dog looks on, hoping something will fall on the floor:
 Melissa's command center, where she seems to be taking up a lot more time lately:
 a nice haul from the meadow for a lovely breakfast (note the wood-fired oven baked granola in the jar):
 My current failure: trying to get this wasp nest out of the wall by the hot tub. They've made a nest behind the wooden slats of the patio footing, so that one can't work the fire without being in danger. So I've attempted to do them in by making a cob mix of clay and sand and diesel fuel... but they keep tunneling out a different way. You can see all the clay attempts, and in this picture, right in the center, they are still humming in and out of a hole.  I've used buckets of sand also, as I figure they can't easily tunnel out of that. Still, today I thought I saw a few of them carrying baggage OUT of the nest, so perhaps they've decided it's a bad neighborhood (that smells like diesel fuel) so I'll let them be (bee!) for a few days and see if they move out.
 Today also included cutting a tree down, taking off the branches, cutting up the branches, peeling it and getting it ready to be part of the carport project. It's at least 40 feet long:
 This is a picture of all the chipped up branches and bark:
 and a 'foot included' shot to show the diameter:

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...