Saturday, May 26, 2018

A happily burning WVO in my Lister Gen.

Just a little review of how things are working well with my listeroid 6/1.  I'm so happy with how things are, it almost seems like I'm going to get some bad luck by talking about it, but, I'm not superstitious.   

First, I have the standard 6/1 Listeroid running a typical Chinese 3KST alternator. 
The Alt has a *8"* pulley on it, so with my typical flywheels, I'm probably running at around 600rpm

I took the simple voltmeter off of the shaky alternator and mounted it (in a tea tin as a nod to the Brits) in a spot in my gen shed that's easy to see.   The switch in this image is for on/off to push power to the house battery bank.  I used to sometimes hook up a gas gen and push in AC and forget that the other alt was connected.  The house would try and turn the alt! 


My personally made manifold to switch from the store-bought diesel in the standard tank to my WVO 'tank'.  Yes, the filter is mounted on a board, because this replacement filter didn't have the same mounting holes as the original. 


And my fancy WVO heating system, which is just a gravity fed aluminium tube (turns out copper reacts badly to WVO) that runs for a while along the exhaust.  I have a gallon jug of WVO hanging in the shed.  About 3/4ths of that jug will run the thing for 5 hours. 


I was given 10 gallons of gasoline that had mistakenly had a bit of diesel added to it, so I now use that to 'cut' my WVO.  I add about a cup of that gas/diesel mix to top off my gallon of WVO.  I actually don't even wait for my veg line to heat up anymore.  I do start and stop on regular diesel, but once I'm running, I only wait 30 seconds or so before switching to WVO.  I *do* run it on regular diesel for about 5 minutes at the END of the run, just to clean out whatever might have built up.   Oh, and I've added a bit of 'injection cleaner' stuff to the diesel tank, which seems to be working well. 

No comments:

Notchin' to it

Getting ready to put up some beams, working on a long scarf joint.  That's a lot of wood to remove!