Monday, February 12, 2007



Moving lumber...


I spent the afternoon moving GIGANTIC logs around, with centuries old technology, mostly pulleys and rope.

Here you can see the size of the thinner, longer log I moved (It's about 20 feet long, about 14" in diameter). By the time I called Melissa to take my picture, I had things worked out so that I could pull it uphill with one arm by walking backwards...
















Here you can see my goofy rain hat (it had begun to sprinkle) and some of the pulley rigging. I have a block and tackle set up that has 4 pulleys/ropes. It makes the lift something like 8 to 1... Then I tie off the main rope on either side of the uphill, and run the bight (the bend in the rope) under and around the middle of the log, creating another loop, and I hook the pulley system to the middle of that loop. (creating an upside down letter 'M' with the main rope) so the log roles inside the rope. it's amazing how much you can pull.

1 comment:

Doug Diboll said...

The below comment was supposed to go here. sfodoug

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...