Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Making Sawdust.


Well, it's been a couple weeks on this project, and I'm not done yet, but I'd better get some photos up about the millwork I'm doing.

Down below the garden (the lowest, west-est part of our property) there's a pile of old growth redwood tree tops that were possibly left after the logging done around here 100 years ago. This isn't the best picture, but it's hard down in the woods to get good light.

I set up my mill, and my rain tarp, and started making beams for the house timber frame


Here you can see how gigantic these logs are as I'm working on finding the good parts of these old, sometimes rotten logs.

The mill holds a lot of weight. Here I'm cranking up the bed of the mill to find the spot the chainsaw can cut through the log as it glides along the rail


The beams you can see in this picture are about 10" x 10", but they aren't perfect...so I'm not done yet. One thing I can say though, is that I do know how to make sawdust.


No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...