Journey in the Woods

Monday, March 18, 2013

Ongoing Repairs

The earth oven has been a trooper for quite some time (has it really been 6 years since it was made?) In all the expanding with the heating and cooling, as well as baking the moisture out of it, it's needed repairs a couple times. Today was another time.  I was able to pick out the chunk above the door with my finger.

So, a bit of mud and sand later, and we have a new upper lip for the dragon. The divot in there is to hold the chimney pipe during firing, which I find works very well to reduce smoke.

and this machete has been a challenge ever since it got up here.  I've made probably 5 handles for it, and the latest one is always my favorite.  However, because of the short blade, the handles I make extend beyond the 'tang' of the handle, and always end up splitting from the huge forces of hitting stuff over and over.  This time I glued the split and did a wrapping job with some nylon cord, but it won't last too long.  
 I could make just a short little handle that has the metal all the way through, but that cuts down on the reach (of course) and the blade is too wide to fit comfortably in my hand.. which would mean grinding it down to fit, a huge project. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home