Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Leaning Tree Obession.

So a while back I noticed this really long, dead redwood leaning on a madrone. I started thinking that it's probably not rotten, and might be good to use in the house construction. Throwing a rope over it to pull it down was not an option. The valley slopes down below it.




I took my chainsaw down to the base and cut off the stump. It didn't fall much further, but looked really great inside. Here's how big it is down by the base. That's my hardhat sitting on it.

I got my farm jack down there and started playing with the log, trying to get it to slide down and out of that tree.

Got the stump part to roll down and hold it up every time I jacked it up a few notches.

Then, bam! it came down hard, and didn't kill me. Now to figure out how to get it up out of the valley.



No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...