Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Giant Tree project: update

Now that I've knocked the thing down out of the tree it was leaning on, I've got to haul it up the hill and down to the house spot. Since it's so wet out, and this thing is SO big, I've decided that using the truck to pull it up and over a hill (the truck could only be on the other side, about 100 yards away) wouldn't really be all that smart. So, it's a game inches.

Here you can see how, as Surfer Mike says, 'I'm going all Egyptian slave on the thing' with my little log rollers. I'm using two parts of the upper part of the tree as rails, and small (maybe 4 inch diameter) oak logs as rollers.


Once I get the chains all hooked up to tree stumps up above, I just crank on the chain winch until I'm tired. The thin yellow rope is there to hold the tree in place while I change the chains. This is a big log.


In both pictures, you can see the 'shiny' silver chain of the winch (between the blue thing and the log). It's maybe 10 feet long. I do one length of that in the morning, then another link in the afternoon. while, that's what I did yesterday and today.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...