Monday, March 10, 2008

Fire! A Cautionary Tale.





Last weekend we went to San Jose overnight, and some as we were leaving, we saw some neighbors, and told them to help themselves to the hot tub. I didn't think they did, but then I saw that the firebox had been cleaned out, and the water was warm when we got back.

I should have thought it through, and checked, but I didn't, and it turns out they had put still hot coals in the ash bucket... that I usually kept water in for this situation... but I had just emptied it, and hadn't put more water in.

AND, what's worse, is twice today I thought I smelled something strange, but then put it off as probably coming from the neighbors.

About 2pm, Melissa heard a crackling noise, and we went running over there just in time to catch it before it took off into the woods.

In the picture, I'm holding what's left of the 5 gallon ash bucket. I'll use a metal one from now on.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...