Sunday, May 03, 2009

One Roof 'challenge' - gutter drainage

When they put the gutters on, they couldn't do what I wanted, which was have the downspouts on the east side, so they'd be on the uphill side to facilitate draining to slightly higher ground.

I was hoping to have rainwater tanks that might allow gravity flow to the bathroom and kitchen, but it looks like I've got a water pump plan in my future.

Here you can see the spout now on the west side. If we'd have thought about it, we could have built a bit of a slope into the roof to allow for eastern flow. Ah well. Now I'll have some sort of 'rain chain' that will probably go to a bowl below the surface of the future patio, which then drains to a holding tank.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...