Saturday, June 26, 2010

Committing to madrone steps

Well, I know I spent a bunch of time milling, planing, notching and figuring out these madrone steps so that they would be a sort of retaining wall for the clay floor at each level, but I've been worried they would continue to warp and twist, but now we're committing to them.

Part of the idea is that they will match other madrone parts of the house: you can see the end table already built into the end of the bench on the far end of the step, and in the unseen foreground of this picture, there's the bedroom threshold that's also madrone. It's a beautiful hard wood, but it takes so long to dry that it often cracks and warps. ah well, it will match the other 'rustic' parts of the house!

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...