Monday, July 04, 2011

Kitchen Drawer

Took a shot at some real carpentry for the first time yesterday. I decided to go for the dovetail joints on the one kitchen drawer I intend to make. I used an old piece of pine for the sides that had been used as a closet shelf (I think I found it on the street in San Francisco years ago). Here you can see my best joints, actually looking pretty good - no glue!

The front redwood piece I went for the blind dovetails... and included an extra edge, making them even harder to get started. Those joints didn't turn out quite perfect, but they do work... and don't look too bad.

I used a board from a wine case for the bottom. you can still see the burnt on label a bit (not in the photo though). This is where the main kitchen utensils will go - spatula, clever, knives, etc.

Amazingly, it fit perfectly in the hole.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...