Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Moving Concrete....


As many of us hippy-new-age-scrounger-cheapo-environmentally-conscious builders know, a great way to get free 'rock' for foundations and help the environment by not overly supporting the concrete industry and keeping stuff out of landfills is: *urbanite*! aka, broken up concrete that folks are always trying to get rid of. I've been scrounging loads for a little while now, and have managed to figure out that this stuff is heavy. Here's me, running back and forth to unload a mere 1500 pounds of the stuff:

















That pile above, and a close up below, show a total of 6 truck loads. doesn't look like much, huh? and, while my truck science isn't exact, I try and fully load it every time, which means each load is 3/4 tons, or 1500 pounds. Thus, that pile is 9000 pounds of heavy. Probably need twice more that before I'm ready to start.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...