Thursday, November 20, 2008

Work goes on, but slowly

Melissa has been doing most of the varnishing, now that we've done the bug spray twice over, and it looks like we've beat the weather enough that there isn't a huge scramble to get some coverage on the beams before a rain.
She is the careful meticulous one, and I still have pegs to make for the south bent. I can't believe the structure still needs 50 more pegs.

In the meantime, I started doing some clearing of brush down below the yurt, now that I'm getting comfortable with 'managing the wild' (a book I'm reading about California native peoples and how they worked the land for food and life)
So I was cutting down a batch of hazelnut bushes, and decided to make my next compost pile bin in a more traditional manner. It's not that hard to get them bent together, and it's not that hard to cut them down, but collecting the good ones and dragging them over to the spot you want to make the fence/bin is tiring.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...