Friday, April 17, 2009

Finished another door frame:

The (south facing) french door frame is up and locked in. Feels pretty solid.
This is a view looking up, sort of. You can see that I took a log and sliced it down the middle (after having peeled it and aged it [it was potentially going to be one of the posts]). Then I did a batch of planing by hand, which I'm very into these days, cut the ends to match the rafter angle, screwed a nice looking plank to the top of them, screwed that to the rafters, and mortised in another plank for the top of the door.

On the bottom, I had cut about a 2 inch slab when it was still on the chainsaw mill (so I figured both sides would be sort of parallel) so that it could be screwed in to the brackets that were buried into the concrete (and bolted to the stem wall - they aren't going anywhere!)
The 2x8 is on one side of the bracket, screwed in to the holes in the bracket, and then the log is screwed in (through the 2x8 side of course) to the 2x8. Everything is square and plum. Melissa, of course, did all the math and measuring.

No comments:

Starting anti-fire prep

Well, we never really stop.  But, took a picture of today's raking below the yurt.  Every year I work to get a bit wider swath cleared....