Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Building in the floor



Now that the exterior stem walls are done, we're going to fill in the inside with vast amounts of gravel and rock to bring the floor up to level, and keep our little mud house out of the rain and water.


Here you can see the box I made which will be a trap door cooler in the kitchen floor. We'll tile the inside, and make some sort of attractive doors for it.


In this picture you can see slim sticks on the right against the wall. The tops of those mark the eventual floor height, and while it is a difficult to discern from these photos, there is quite a slope... that all needs to be filled in. That's one reason I came up with the cooler in the floor idea: to take up space so we don't have to fill it all in with gravel.


You can also see the various piles of extra urbanite laying around. I'll work those into layers of gravel as I fill this area in too. They'll take up space, and lock the gravel in place well.


Note how a 5 gallon bucket will fit in the cooler. Good to have storage!

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...