Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Further 'green' attempts.

So, I've been thinking a lot about brush piles, and how to deal with them. Burning is a standard, and chipping is another. Leaving them to decompose has been my standard, as it's the easiest. It's been brought to my attention that this lazy man practice leaves potential wildfire fuel laying about... so I've decided to go to the 'elbow grease green' process. Self chipping.

I took two small trees down today, for more knee braces for the house, and let me tell you, cutting down a tree is not simply starting the chainsaw and getting out of the way of a falling tree. There's a bunch of clean up.

Here's my small brush pile after I've taken a hefty machete like thing to every branch that came off these two small trees. I cut the branches up into about 6 inch pieces. You can see my 'chopping block' stump in the middle of that pile... it's about knee high.







I remove the 'useful' branches from the pile, which might be used for garden stakes, rake handles, or simply kindling once they dry.

some were already made into arches for the snap peas to climb on.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...