Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What we continue to be up to:

notches.

Here's the two halves of the (northern) beams sitting side by side as we make the notches for the posts and knee braces.



When making a knee brace notch, I use a forstner drill bit to drill down to the right depth, and since the notch has a slope to one side, I go more and more shallow as I go. You can see Melissa's markings on the log. She's doing the math, I'm doing the wood removal.








This is the middle of the northern beam; a scarf joint. The two halves of the beam will slip together, and the center post will then lock them in place. That's the theory anyway.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...