Thursday, April 24, 2008

Kuk Sool space floored



One side project I've been doing slowly is to create a platform where Melissa and I can practice martial arts. I put this down in the valley to the north of our house spot (it's about a 200 yard walk down to it from the bathroom).

On top of the redwood beams, I put a lot of different (scrounged) 2x4s, then two layers of half inch plywood. it ended up being 20x20. Now I'm going to start looking for some sort of padding... carpet, or astroturf or something. Someday I'll build a fancy roof for the thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered about the possibility of eroded soils (during rainstorms) finding a drain path right onto the decking there, and how to deal with that: maybe a diversion trench, maybe filled with river stones (around 2 in.), no sharp edges on that type. KARL

Tys said...

bah! the edge of the hillside is actually back a few inches...so that when the hill slides down, it'll most probably just do a small collapse next to the flooring. Plus, it's been that way for two winters now, so if it's going to fall, it's not going to be that bad. Now, if we build some other stuff up on that bank like I'm planning....

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...