Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Wood Folly; lesson learned.

Some readers may remember last February when a giant madrone tree fell down in our meadow. I milled some of it into planks, and a bunch went to firewood. Here's the fresh stuff on the sawmill. Just beautiful wood. (it loses the pink hue as it dries, unfortunately)


Well, I left a batch of big thick logs laying in the meadow for the last year, thinking I'd let them dry out, and then get to milling them. The dried madrone, when split for firewood, is also really beautiful.

That didn't work. The entire pile is riddled with termites.




here's a log split open.








So, I'm going to split it all and burn it in the hot tub fire. Next time, I'll mill it up right away.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...