Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Working away

As we're building the walls, there's not much to report, so I thought I'd point out how sometimes I bury random rocks (broken up concrete) in the middle of the wall - gives a strong 'tooth' to tie into the next layer, and takes up space - and the small bits of rigid styrafoam junk that is leftover from shaping them. It's not like they add a lot of insulation, but at least we're not putting it in the landfill.



We've decided to put the tankless water heater onto the northern side of the northern buttress, which means we had to put some 'deadman' in for future supports for that. Since we don't actually own the thing yet, and thus don't know the measurements that the hanging hooks will be, I decided that by putting in two vertical pieces, I can in the future, bolt a horizontal piece to these, and that horizontal piece can have the proper hooks on it wherever the heater needs them to be.



I attached a small piece of plywood to them to keep them parallel while the mud dries.

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...