Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Another not very important DIY project done

So, I figured out how to cut wine bottles by holding my glass cutter in my vice, which is turned sideways and towards the bench.  I then also added a vertical and horizontal guide by nailing bits of wood onto the bench top.  Here you can see the set up with a freshly scratched bottle. 

Then I boil the bottles over the fire to heat them up, and then pour out the hot water, plunge them quickly into ice water for 5 seconds, pull out and give a tap with a piece of wood, and they break cleanly.  Then it's just some time with the belt sander and then cleaning them up.   Got so I did 7 $2 chuck bottles that turned out well.  No more buying drinking glasses! 
and yes, that is a mint julep on the rocks - we had left over humming bird food. what else am I supposed to to do with it?? 

No comments:

Design Mistakes in my cob house

So, I have long meant to create a list of mistakes I made when designing the finishings on our house.  Now that we've lived in it for a ...